Rockstar has finally announced when the next major update for Red Dead Online will be released. The update launches in a week, on September 10th, bringing several heavy changes to how players interact with the world.
One of these adjustments, called ‘Frontier Pursuits”, will be giving players different Roles to inhabit. As you progress through each Role, a wide variety or themed activities, unique items, skill and more will be available.
These first three new Roles are not the only dramatic improvements to Red Dead Online. Rockstar also adjusted:
- basic movements to be quicker and more responsive during phases of combat and locomotion
- the ability to redesign your character’s appearance without resetting progress
- greater damage resistance while in the Defensive playing style
- new Ability Cards
- new Daily Challenges and Daily Role Challenges
- more Dynamic Events across the frontier
Specialist Roles, Ranks and Progression
Each Role has different activities to pursue, items to obtain and skills to unlock. Additionally, payouts for Cash and Gold will also differ for each Role. More Frontier Pursuits will be added, giving new Roles and choices.
When completeing a Role’s activity, you’ll earn XP for that Role. Completing a bounty will earn you Bounty Hunter XP, finding a collectible will earn you Collector XP, for some examples. Roles can reach a rank of 20, with a new tier distinction every 5 ranks: Novice, Promising, Established and Distinguished.
Unlocking a Role Rank will earn you Role Tokens and at a certain Rank, new skills. Each tier also has a kit of items that are specific to the Role and be unlocked for purchase using Role Tokens.
For example, the Trader’s Novice Kit gives you access to seven Trader Role items, including a unique Saddle, Gun Belt and a Stew Pot (provides fresh meals for your camp).
Players that progress to Distinguished ranks will earn a range of new skills like advanced camp styles and comforts; as well as recognizable clothing items that show off your accomplishments in each discipline.
The Bounty Hunter
Meet the Legendary Bounty Hunter in Rhodes and purchase the Bounty Hunter License to start this Role. The license will cost 15 Gold Bars, but if you link your Twitch Prime account with a Social Club profile by September 8th it will be available for free.
Bounty Hunters can pick up work by visiting bounty boards located near law offices, post offices and train stations. Targets range in difficulty, with armed gangs or returning multiple targets can be made easier with a Posse. However, they’ll also be getting a share of the bounty money. Returning targets alive will yield a greater reward.
Reaching Rank 12 with the Bounty Hunter opens up opportunities to take down other players with bounties of $20 and up. Bounty Hunters will be notified through and invite to hunt the wanted player. That player must escape (or surrender) within an allotted time and if captured, will also have a chance to escape and flee. If the Bounty Hunter brings the target in alive, they’ll receive an award, while the captured assailant serves time.
Unique Bounty Hunter Skills and Items
- Focus: Targets glow red in Eagle Eye
- Reinforced Lasso: A lasso made with reinforced rope to keep bounties secure
- Reverse Spin: Perform a Reverse Spin with a single pistol or revolver
- Tonics Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Tonics Pouch
- Eagle Eye+: Track enemies while sprinting or galloping
- Spin Up: Perform a Spin Up with a single pistol or revolver
- Kit Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Kit Pouch
- Tracking Arrow Pamphlet: A pamphlet recipe on how to craft Tracking Arrows
- Reverse Spin Up: Perform a Reverse Spin Up with a single pistol or revolver
- Ducking: Duck for protection while on horseback
- Bolas: A thrown weapon, perfect for tangling the legs of bounties
- Bounty Wagon: A wagon for securely retaining bounty targets
- Perception: Receive a notification of bounties from a greater distance
- Alternating Flips: Perform Alternating Flips with a single pistol or revolver
- Dual Gun Spinning: Perform gun spinning tricks with two pistols or revolvers
Cripps, a trusted companion at your camp, wants to start a trading outpost. Become a partner in the Cripps Trading Company for 15 Gold Bars, which buys you the Butcher’s Table and kickstarts your business. All PlayStation 4 players will get the Butcher’s Table for free.
Once up and running, you’ll be providing Cripps with Materials through hunting — perfect pelts and carcasses will give better yields. You’ll also have Resupply Missions to acquire additional items. Once supplied, Cripps will begin turning the materials into sellable goods, which can then be sent out on low-risk delivers for payment or across greater distances for a premium (and higher-risk).
Unique Trader Skills and Items
- Stew Pot: A camp upgrade that unlocks stew recipes to boost cores
- Ingredients Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Ingredients Pouch
- Awareness: Identify rival Trader wagons at an increased range
- Canine Warning: Train your dog to warn of thieves raiding your camp
- Medium and Large Delivery Wagons: Upgraded wagons that can hold more goods for transport
- Weapons Locker: Store weapons for later use
- Lance Knife: A bespoke knife style available to Traders only
- Efficiency: Learn to increase the amount of usable materials from perfect carcasses
- Materials Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Materials Pouch
- Hunting Wagon: A sturdy wagon fit for carrying multiple carcasses, hides and pelts
- Protection: Reduce the chance of raids at your camp
Seek out the mysterious traveling saleswoman, Madam Nazar, to buy the Collector’s Bag to begin down The Collector path. It will cost, you guessed it, 15 Gold Bars. However, if you’ve already collected all 54 hidden playing card in GTA Online, you can get the Collector’s Bag free of charge.
The bag allows you to collect and sell rare, valuable items. Collect individual pieces and sell them off to Madam Nazar or collect entire sets for valuable sales.
Unique Collector Skills and Items
- Divination: Sense when near collectibles
- Pennington Field Shovel: An essential tool for uncovering buried collectibles
- Potential: Detect disturbed earth when using Eagle Eye
- Intuition: Narrow your search area
- Horse Saddlebag Upgrade: Carry more in your Horse’s saddlebag
- Refined Binoculars: Specialized binoculars that make dig sites glow from a great distance
- Águila Machete: A classic machete restyled for the use of adventurous and belligerent Collectors
- Metal Detector: An important tool which can identify collectibles buried underground
- Equine Assistance: Collect herbs from horseback
- Horse Lantern: Light the path ahead with a lantern attached to your horse’s breastplate
- Valuables Satchel Upgrade: Store more items in your Valuables Pouch
Aside from the massive changes, Rockstar also mentioned some of the new features and gameplay updates players can expect on September 10th, including:
- new Role Free Roam Events unlocked as you progress through each Role
- additional Stable slots
- improved selling prices of Jewelry
- lootable containers in ambient wagons
- more custom outfit slots
- ability to name saved Outfits in your wardrobe
- weapon rebalancing to reduce reliance on headshots as the primary kill method in PvP