Rare, the developers behind the Xbox exclusive Sea of Thieves, announced the game will have a major overhaul coming. It’s so big that it’s going to require you reinstall the entire game.
Joe Neate, the executive producer at Rare’s studio, informed the player base of he reinstall in a blog post on the Sea of Thieves website.The post stated the update would be released on February 6th and will “greatly reduce the game’s overall install size.”
Below are the install size improvents coming in the future:
- Xbox One – from an install size of 35GB to 10GB
- Xbox One X – from an install size of 47GB to 25GB
- Windows 10 PC – from an install size of 47GB to 27GB
Mr. Neate also gave a couple reasons for such drastic alterations:
- Changes to how we generate game updates/patches will better enable us to manage future content being added to the game. This might mean that patch sizes increase slightly in the future, but the benefit is that the game install size won’t increase significantly. If we didn’t make this change, the game install size would continue to increase, taking up more and more of your hard drive space.
- Due to the game install changing, we’ll be able to more quickly generate and transfer builds which is a significant part of day-to-day development internally at Rare. It’ll mean improvements to various areas of our development process, including how quickly we can generate builds and ship them to players.
However, the fact the company had the foresight to inform it’s player base of this overhaul. It’s a step in the right direction and makes quite a statement to other developers: Respect the players.
Rare will be reminding people, every week, about these changes through thier Developer Update videos and thier various social media channels.